Saturday, April 3, 2010

Moving on...

Curt and I leave today for Palermo. Tomorrow we fly up to Pisa and will spend a few days in Florence before we arrive in Marrakech, Morocco. We cannot wait! We will be visiting our good friend Steve who is doing the Peace Corps there.

Refelctions on Sicily:
I love it. It is a very unique place. Humble, unlike the majority of Italy, because people simply don't have money here. With that being said, they live incredibly rich lives here. Indulge in the weather, food, and life in general. It is a confused culture, having been conquered and reconquered by so many different cultures. Greek, Roman, Norman, Arabic, Phoenician. The Sicilian dialect reflects this confusion and ends up sounding like an old man blubbering a mix of Italian and Greek with a few random "G's" thrown in. I mean they barely get the words out of their mouth.
The people are more than friendly. They are not concerned with showing you how posh their clothes are or how much money they have, but more about how you prepare a meal or enjoy your olive oil or wine. Oh the olive oil! I have two addiction that I fear will haunt me after I leave Sicily: Olive oil and blood oranges. I do not know how I will live the rest of my life without them everyday.

I have made many friends here and said too many heart felt goodbyes. I have thoroughly enjoyed myself and I am so looking forward to our final 3 weeks of travel, but I must say- I MISS HOME! I have been thinking more and more about it lately and I have so much to look forward to when I get back.

Time to pack! I think when I return, I could teach a class at the local travel agency on how to have really fulfilling travels on an ultra-tight budget. 3 weeks!!



Us with Alfio, a worker on our 2nd farm in Sicily.

Me and Alfio clearing muck and nastiness from an aquaduct.

2 comments:

Susan Iverson said...

I'm so glad you have this experience but make no mistake, we CANNOT wait until you get home. Just think of it as another new adventure.

Living in the Now said...

I literally laughed out loud at the picture at the top of your blog. You crack me up my friend!!! I think your next adventure should be teaching English in South Korea!!! What do you think?!?! It's a sweet gig!

My Playlist